Is it possible to love something so much and hate it at the very same time? If I had to describe this football season, it would be with that one simple question. Every year, I look forward to kickoff in the fall and watching my Crimson Tide run all over the field. The competitive personalities that come out thanks to football season are hilarious, too, because people can get quite crazy over a game. This season, however, it went too far. I've always hated Auburn (it comes with the territory of growing up a Bama fan) but a rivalry should only go so far. This season has been horrific.. on both sides. The hatred people have for each other has intensified beyond my wildest imagination... and it makes me sad. Cameron Newton's ordeal has put Bama fans in a tizzy, while making Auburn fans deny something that could very well erase a great season. Fans from both sides have not only pulled for their own team, but outright bashed the other on both a general and personal level. I have never heard arguments over a game get to such an outrageous level, and feelings have been hurt. Auburn fans have been way too defensive about the entire situation, and Alabama fans have used the whole story to try and nullify the good season Auburn has had. And it's pathetic.. on everyone's part.
Football is supposed to be something to enjoy.. like it has been for my entire life. But this season, I dreaded every Saturday because of the fights that ensue as soon as the games are over. People have been outright mean and taken personal shots where personal shots should not have been taken. It's a game. It's meant for entertainment. And it got waaaaay out of hand this season.
So Auburn has been accused of some nasty stuff that may or may not play out very badly for them. And Alabama fans are using it to their advantage. If the tables were turned, Auburn would do the same thing. And Alabama has had plenty of dirty players in their past, as well. I'm not really sure when it became alright to question people's religious faith over football, but that has happened this season as well. It's absurd and I'm so over it.
I'm proud to be an Alabama fan, and that will never change. I pulled for the Tide last year during our undefeated National Championship season, and I'm proud to still be defending champs until January. Just because I don't pull for Auburn when they play in the National Championship game doesn't mean I'm a terrible person. They are my rivals.. why should I pull for them? I'm not a fan of the SEC or a fan of the state of Alabama.. I'm a University of Alabama fan and I cheer for the Crimson Tide. And that's that.
Congrats to Auburn for having a good season. Seriously, you have remained undefeated and are playing for the National Championship.. so congrats. But if I have to hear about Cameron Newton past this season, I may pull out my hair. Because not only does that mean that I have to see his smiling face everywhere for another 5 months next fall, I'll have to see and listen to all of the same arguments next season. And I can't take/dish out any more arguments.
I am included in the bunch of people who took it too far. But I realize I'm at fault for being so emotionally involved in something that doesn't change my life one bit.
In church this morning, Pastor Danny finished up his few weeks on talking about the Attributes of God. Today, he discussed how God is Love. God not only shows love, He IS love. And we are to "love one another, for love comes from God" (1 John 4:7). Something so simple sparked something in my head; I have done the exact opposite this season all because of FOOTBALL. All because I cared way too much and got way too involved, I have cut people down (and been cut down by others) and have not shown love.
So, to say it simply, I'm out.
No more comments.
No bashing or pulling for anyone.
I'm Switzerland come January 10th.
Roll Tide. Always.
No comments:
Post a Comment