Well, it's official.. non-officially, that is. I haven't signed or mailed the contract yet, but I called David at Camp Starlight and told him I accepted the position of camp nurse for the summer!
And, yes, I'm terrified/nervous/excited. All of the above + a million other emotions.
Here are the specifics:
- camp is from June 20th to August 15th.
- they pay a salary, my trip up there and back, all food is provided, lodging is free, and they will cover the cost of getting my PA license (because I'll need it since I'll be performing nursing care in the state of Pennsylvania).
- Kim and I plan on leaving several days early in order to make a road trip out of the it and stop at several sites along the way (like Washington D.C., Charleston, and maybe another spot).
- we are hoping to take a car up there.. please keep us in your prayers that this will work out. for several reasons, having a car to drive up there and have up at camp would be ideal, but we are uncertain at the moment what car will be available.
So, there it is. Camp, here I come... eeeee! I am SO nervous about being gone. I literally have sweated over this decision for weeks now. I've lost sleep, even. Friday was my last day of precepting; I had to wake up at 5:30am and didn't fall asleep until 1:30am because I was so nervous about the decision I was going to make.. and I only dozed from that point on. I kept waking up and waking up, thinking and freaking out about my decision.
There are going to be lots of things I will miss by being gone. I will miss mine and Chuck's 7th anniversary, which is July 19th. I will miss most of Chuck's triathlons that he will do this summer. It's the last summer that Robbie will be here before he leaves to join the military. I may miss wonderful job opportunities that open up before I get back. I will miss a summer at Chuck's lake house. I'll miss my family. I'll miss Chuck. I'll miss home.
BUT, going to camp will give me an opportunity to experience something that I may never get to experience ever again. I'll get nursing experience in a Pediatric setting without having to immediately jump into a hospital job straight out of school. I've never done anything this spontaneous and experimental before.. and I'm hoping it's an experience I will never forget, or regret. I'll get an entire summer in a beautiful, northern, mountain setting surrounded by children. I'll learn multitudes about childhood conditions, medications, and will become comfortable in making sound nursing decisions and talking with doctors on site. And I get to be a comforter to children who may need me when they are homesick. I'll get to be a role model to the kids. I hope the bless the children who are there by my nursing skills.. and I'm sure I'll get a blessing in return.
Check out the website. It's www.campstarlight.com
So, now that I've prayed (and hopefully, you prayed over me, too!), please pray that I am confident in my decision. Pray that I don't question my decision and that I am blessed this summer. Pray that I don't get too homesick. Pray that Chuck and I can handle being away from each other for 2 months.. we've never been away from each other for that long. Pray that all the details come together smoothly. Pray that we have safe travels. Pray that the kids are blessed by me and Kim. Pray that we are surrounded by a loving group of people and staff who treat us wonderfully throughout the summer.
Thank you. THANK YOU! I'm so scared and nervous, but I'm excited, too :)
Saturday, April 24, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Oh my gosh!! I just looked at the website! I WANT to go there! Did you see all the activities they had AND they put on 5 plays a summer( of course I look at theatre first)! AND did you see all the water activities they do! WOW! You are going to have so much fun! Also, when it comes to all the things you will be missing, oh well! You have had tons of summers at Chuck's lake house and you will have tons more. You will have the rest of your life to have marriage anniversaries and your right this is an experience you might never get again:) I love you and am continuing to pray for you best friend:)
ReplyDelete