Friday, March 5, 2010

Trying this out...

So, I think I'm going to try this whole blogging thing. Even if no one reads it or finds it amusing, it will be a way for me to remember the happenings in my life a few years down the road. Ideally, I'd have my own computer and add pictures day to day to keep you (and myself) entertained, but my computer decided to break on me a month or so ago, so I've bummed off Chuck for a while now. I'm sure he's about as ready for me to have my computer back as I am.

So, what's been happening lately? Well, lots. Where do I start...

I've been super busy the past few months. With school and tests and everything else imaginable, it's nice to finally have a period where I can just simply.... relax. School has been overwhelmingly busy. I've lived my life behind textbooks, binders, highlighters, notes, coffee, Mountain Dew, case studies, etc for so long that NOT having to do all of that is.. weird. I don't know what to do in my spare time anymore. After PASSING HESI!!!!!!!!!! and taking all of my finals and being DONE with the semester, I can relax, like I said. All I have left to do until graduation is my preceptorship. And it's been great so far.

I started my preceptorship on Tuesday. I'm following a nurse on the Pediatric floor of DCH. The kids on the floor are absolutely precious. It's not intense like an ICU, but it's rewarding. The children make it enjoyable, and it's a nice experience where I can figure out if I really would like Pediatrics as a career.

You can't tell me working with kids like this everyday wouldn't make going to work a whole lot more bearable.. :) This photo was taken at a health fair at a local elementary school in Tuscaloosa (not on the Pediatric floor at DCH where I'm precepting). But my patients are still as precious as he is. One of them the other day said, "You're Katie, right? Can I have a popsicle?" and I've never seen a boy with the stomach bug and IV fluids running into his arm in such a good mood. That popsicle was the best thing he'd seen all day.

Anyway, like I said, I'm just trying this out. I'm going to see if I like it. And if I can figure out how to edit all these details, like adding pics to the blog and links, etc. It's confusing.. but hopefully I can figure it out. I'm not exactly computer savvy, but it can't be THAT hard..

No comments:

Post a Comment